Thursday, October 5, 2017

Fall 2017, Weeks 5 and 6: Further Design Work

After completing Presentation 1 of the semester last week, the 1/12 scale team continued further design work for the new track. To tackle the problem of the switch rail, I first calculated the minimum curve radius of the turn. With an assumed front axle rotation of 20 degrees, I found that about an 11 inch curve will allow the bogie to run smoothly. Below is one design option for the switch.

To guide the switch, we are currently revising the idea I had a couple weeks ago. The gap that the bogie must clear is longer than I anticipated, so I decided to go with another design.

By next week, my team and I hope to have a complete Bill of Materials, as well as a concrete solution to supporting the track. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring 2018, Week 15: Completing the Final Presentation

May 9, 2018 On Wednesday, we came into the SSDC to adjust any sections that would cause the bogie to bind. We re-bent a curve section, as ...